[EZNETSOLS #25448] [OSS] Fedora 15 staged for mirroring, release Tuesday

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Fri May 20 21:52:47 UTC 2011

----- "Matt Domsch" <Matt_Domsch at Dell.com> wrote:

> This is the first release we're doing since moving the master mirrors
> from Red Hat I/T control to our control.
>
> With that, we dropped all the historical mirrors that were using
> download.fedora.redhat.com and were in its rsync ACLs, forcing people
> to use the tiering.
>
> Right now, we have only a few mirrors reporting having the content
> (per the mirrorlists):
> http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/
> ftp://mirror.cs.princeton.edu/pub/mirrors/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirror.seas.harvard.edu/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirror.hiwaay.net/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
>
> Should we consider:
> a) force mirrors to change to tiering if they want the bits before Day
> 0.
> b) opening up the restrictions on dl.fp.o so the historical mirrors
> don't have to make changes (at a cost of bandwidth from dl*)
> c) bitflipping really early (e.g. ~now)
> d) stop using bitflipping entirely
>
> ?
>
> Thoughts?

I think "a" is the only option if we intend to have a sane release window. As someone that used to be in the ACLs to download from the Red Hat mirrors, if you didn't, or now don't, get your sync done the first day of availability you might as well wait until a week after the release or try to convince warthog to let you sync from kernel.org. Seeing that our mirror is not advertised public to the world, only locally to the LUG, using kernel.org has not been an option. Forced tiering will only work if everyone uses the mirrors they are instructed to and if those mirrors allow them to do so regardless of their "status". Removing the bitfilp will just kill most mirrors from getting the bits, this will overload the few complete mirrors and irritate users.

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |