Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Shannon Petry

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Nov 3 15:58:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 21:54:16 -0700
Shannon Petry <shannon.petry at gmail.com> wrote:

> IRC Handle: spetry
>
> Skills: Scripting Shell and Perl, but prefer shell.  Some C, TCL/TK,
> and lots of real world experience.  20 Years of Unix support and 14
> with Linux.  Supported numerous environments including DOD,
> Engineering, Financial, SW Dev, and more.  I'd like to get better
> with C and of course overall knowledge can always improve (there is
> no such thing as knowing it all, or knowing to much).
>
> Immediate interests:  Fedora 15 shipped with bad init scripts for
> ypserv and ypbind.  I'd also like to investigate an improvement to
> ypinit to update NISDOMAIN or YPDOMAIN in configuration files and
> configuration scripts.  Can work to modify scripts for sysconfig as
> well.  More as time allows and needs arrise.

Welcome. It sounds to me like you are more interested in helping out
with packaging and OS building than Infrastructure.

I'd suggest getting in touch with the maintainers of the yp/nis
packages you want to help improve and offer your services. You may want
to file bugs with patches attached.

If you're interested in infrastructure (we run the servers that build
Fedora), we can help you out further here. :)

Good luck!