[RFE] creating a meeting reminder cron job for all teams

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 29 23:06:07 UTC 2011

As suggested on Trac[1], here is a thread letting us discuss more
about this idea.

The fact:
* People send reminder manually, sometimes late, sometimes wrong
* People forget sometimes to send the reminder.
* Many teams are doing that.
* It takes time.
* Sender need to subscribe to mailing lists
* If there is a new wiki page for each meeting (agenda), we can't find
the last one easily!

Letting teams registering events on a cron will improve that.
We could use the meeting page[2] (which would need to be updated!) to
get the meeting info.
Parameters:
* Meeting time
* How far should the reminder be sent (in days?)
* Meeting frequency, schedule
* To which list the reminder should be sent
* Static link to meeting details.

For example (as we already do in the French team):
===
This mail is a reminder for today's meeting for the French speaking community.

2011-11-28 / 18:30 UTC
IRC: freenode
#fedora-meeting

The agenda is located at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Réunions_hebdomadaires_de_la_French_team
===

As kevin said, including the time could be wrong because of daylight
saving time.
Hence the static meeting page is really important.
Lots of meeting follow a generic agenda, there is no need to create a
new page each time (take a look at [3]), the wiki history keep the old
meeting agenda for us. Therefor the meeting agenda should also be
included in the static meeting page.

Of course, if this is implemented, all teams (amba, infra, docs…)
should use it, else this is not really useful.

What do you think?

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/3029
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meetings
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Ambassadors&from=Ambassadors%2FMeetings%2F2006-04-20