Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Andrew Smillie

Andrew Smillie ajsmillie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 21:41:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm Andrew, a final year computer science student who has been quite active the student run computing facility hosted by GeekSoc [1]. Through this I have gained experience administering CentOS systems set up for a variety of purposes including Joomla and Wordpress on Apache, MySQL, SSH, OpenLDAP, BIND, and NFS.

I'll admit that I have a lot to learn about professional system administration - working with a student group providing services to other students is vastly different that a production system used by a *lot* of people - but I am willing to learn and would really like to improve my sysadmin skills.

I imagine the best place for me to start would be to poke around the systems a bit to try and better undertand the setup you have and slowly start working on some of the simpler issues.

Thanks,
Andrew Smillie

IRC: Smilers_ (Freenode)
FAS: smillie