ssh private keys on our systems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Oct 4 14:45:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 07:37:38 -0700
Darren VanBuren <onekopaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, so it's more like tunnelling SSH in SSH, similar to X11 in SSH or
> SOCKS through SSH?
>
> I just remember that last time I connected I think I had to use agent
> forwarding. I may be wrong, I was tired while writing this email last
> night.

Yeah, basically using bastion simply as a way to connect to other
sshd's.

It's nice, because:

- You don't need your private key on any shared systems.

- You don't need to run ssh agent forwarding at all. (You can in rare
  cases when you need to copy things between internal machines).

- You don't have to ssh into a bastion then another machine, you can
  'ssh foobar' and it logs you into foobar (it's using bastion behind
  the scenes here, but thats transparent).

- You don't need any config on the bastion host, all of it's on your
  local machine, so if bastion is re-installed it doesn't matter.