audit messages to syslog

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Thu Oct 13 08:16:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 01:09:28PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> > > Thoughts? downsides? Alternate plans?
> >
> > Auditd supports both logging to syslog
> > (ref: /etc/audisp/plugins.d/syslog.conf) and to remote audit servers
> > trough audispd-plugins (/etc/audisp/plugins.d/au-remote.conf).
> >
> > Would it not be better to use one of those ?
>
> Perhaps? What does that get us? Ability to filter?

I was thinking more about keeping the logs to be able to do data mining
on them using aureport/ausearch, and that auditd is a powerfull
facility that should be used more -- not less. By turning off auditd you
probably have the same data in the syslogs, but it will be harder to
read and report on.

	"aureport --avc"  -- selinux denials
	"aureport -l --failed" -- failed logins
	"aureport --auth --failed" -- failed authentication attempts

> What do we want to filter out?

Not filter out, rather filter in. F.ex add a watcher on /etc to log when
anything changes there:

	echo "-w /etc/ -p wa -k infrakey" >> /etc/audit/audit.rules

Send this to a central auditd-server (or syslog server), and fire off
alerts/notices whenever "ausearch -k infrakey" finds something.

  -jf