Packages installed on app servers but not in puppet

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 19 15:50:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 20:39 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 08:03:50PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > So when I reinstalled app04 I found that its packages differed from
> > all the app servers by quite a bit. I hand installed the django
> > packages but then saw that not all the same packages are on the app
> > servers..
> >
> Actually, I would go with what's in puppet unless something doesn't work
> (and then add the extra package to puppet as well).
>
> I suspect that many of these packages ended up on an app server as a dep of
> one or another service that we no longer have there.  For instance,
> transifex dragged in Django and all the scms.
>
> Regarding the gnome stuff -- I believe that skvidal tracked that down at one
> point -- not sure if we were able to get rid of those or if some package
> that we really did need required them.

some of those machines are all over the map.

the gnome stuff on some of our servers is from non-kickstart installs
back in the mists of time.

in other places it got pulled in due to an incredibly silly dependency
and never cleaned up.

For rhel6 installs we have yum history now which should help us decipher
this nuttiness.

-sv