Zarafa

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Sat Sep 24 18:23:04 UTC 2011

On 24/09/11 19:11, brett lentz wrote:
> Even if that's technically legal, it violates the spirit of what Fedora
> is all about.
>
> ---Brett.
>
> On Sep 24, 2011 1:07 PM, "Tristan Santore"
> <tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
> <mailto:tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net>> wrote:

>>> I demand that Fedora continue to offer and support a mailing solution....
>>> just of me ;-)
>>>
>>> +1 to the sunset. Let me know when and I'll make arrangements to get my
>>> mail sent back to my normal account.
>>>
>>> -Mike
>> How about hosting zarafa elsewhere ? In a sane legal zone like the EU!
>>
>> As long as Fedora doesn't itself host this, its not taking part in
>> contributory infringement, I would think.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tristan
>>
>> --
>> Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
>> TS4523-RIPE
>> Network and Infrastructure Operations
>> InterNexusConnect
>> Mobile +44-78-55069812
>> Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net
> <mailto:Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net>
>>
>> Former Thawte Notary
>> (Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
>> and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)
>>
>> For Fedora related issues, please email me at:
>> TSantore at fedoraproject.org <mailto:TSantore at fedoraproject.org>

Using foss service providers does not violate what we are about, and
besides, if that was the case then we should also ban our users from
mentioning rpmfusion in the help channel, which is preposterous.
Just because the United States has decided to have patents on software,
which nobody in Fedora agrees with, nor Red Hat for that matter, then
you can't ask Europe to enforce such stupidity. What you are saying is,
that we cant basically add European service providers to the list of US
based service providers we already use. Of course, external providers of
free services we use to market Fedora, such as facebook, have also faced
patent infringement claims. Also, we would not be hosting it ourselves,
we do not violate the principal of having only freely usable software in
the distribution. The distribution has nothing to do with obtaining
services from a third-party.

Of course,, if there was a better option, which we can mass-roll out to
allow everyone to work more efficiently together, then great, but people
have been banging on about a product we need, and nothing has fit the bill.

And, as a contributor, Id like to have the ability to gain access to
such collaboration systems, it should be for everyone, not just a select
few.

Regards,

Tristan

Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net