kickstarts, installs and root ssh keys

Christos Triantafyllidis christos.triantafyllidis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 23:26:18 UTC 2012

Hi,
   some apprentice feedback!

  I'm not a puppet user (except from fedora) but i use a similar logic product (quattor). Of course the case of puppet ssl keys to be "gotten" has typically the same results as a ssh key that provides root access to all nodes but the risk is not always the same. Explaining myself, there are much more automated attacks that can use a ssh key (i.e. combined with the hosts in authorized_keys) in no time, while using the puppet way will most probably be a targeted attack (not saying though that fedora's infrastructure doesn't qualify as target).

   Haven't check the whole documentation yet but doesn't this thing allow usage of ssh key agents? if so it would be much much better if the key is encrypted.

We use something similar (pdsh) for our fabric and practice revealed that following additions to the authorized_keys made audit much easier:
a) have a "from=lockbox01" as Jan-Frode already mentioned
b) have a simple script in "command=" that will log remotely executed commands, i use the following (logging directly to my mailbox):
command="echo Executed command: ${SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND:-$SHELL}| mail -s \"root key usage at `hostname -f`\" my at e.mail && exec ${SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND:-$SHELL}"

This way even if the attacker manages to get the key AND the passphrase AND have access to the node that is allowed to use it, his action will at least be logged.

Regards,
Christos