Please read: Staging branch removal/reorg

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Apr 18 17:24:23 UTC 2012

Greetings.

if you use the 'staging' branch in fedora infrastructure puppet repo,
please read this. ;)

I've updated our SOP docs on staging:

http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/docs/staging.txt

to the new way we will be doing staging.

Short summary:

- The seperate 'staging' branch is going away soon. Possibly later this
  week if I can manage it.

- You will need to use the above method to make changes to staging
  hosts and applications.

Cutover plans:

- Disable puppet on all staging machines.
- Change puppet config on them to correctly look for 'modules-staging'
  first since they are in the staging puppet env.
- In turn, test puppet runs on them, make any needed changes to prevent
  doom.
- re-enable puppet on each.
- Wait a few days and make sure everything is happy.
- git branch -D staging
- create cron job that diffs and nags us about modules-staging/* items
  per week.

Is anyone doing any testing or deployment in staging right now that
would be affected by this? Please let me know so I can schedule around
it.

Thoughts? Concerns? Rotten tomatos?