Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Matt Jones

Jones, Matthew MJones at Biscom.com
Thu Aug 2 17:01:00 UTC 2012

Hi my name is Matt, I would like to start learning more about what goes on behind the scenes and apply my current skills and gain some new ones, hopefully in web application development.  By day  I work in systems/network operations for a FOIP company in, mainly doing new physical deployments and backend grunt work (backups, monitoring(Nagios), vulnerability scanning(NMap, Nessus), firefighting.  I have a good working knowledge of BASH, Sed/Awk, Python, C/C++, SQL, MediaWiki and some Django.  I hope to put the little Django experience I have to more use and expand upon it.
By night I am working on a small script/package collection for Windows admins who refuse to actually use Windows or a heavyweight GUI for that matter.  My goal is a single package that will contain everything most admins need including rdesktop, OpenConnect and various scripts for parsing common windows log files into meaningful noise. If I have to do something more than twice, I'm scripting it.
My IRC nick is urlugal and I hope to contribute to the website and the wiki as my skills improve.  For now I am ok with watching and learning unless someone has a specific project I can get my feet wet with.  I couldn't find anything that looked relatively simple in the Active Tickets list and didn't want to step on toes.