Change Request: Allow fi-apprentice to log into app*

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:38:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 05:25:34PM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 07:37 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > One of our apprentices was looking into how we use use the faswho adapter
> > was going to look at how it's configured in raffle on the app servers.  When
> > he wasn't able to we discovered that fi-apprentice isn't allowed to login to
> > the app servers.  Discussed with nirik and we think that this is a simple
> > oversight rather than a matter of policy.
> [...]
> > Since this applies to appRhel, the nodes that it will affect are:
> >
> > app0[1-68]
> > app0[12].stg
> > bapp02
> > value0[34]
> > value01.stg
>
> How far are the stg machine from the production one ? I'm asking
> thinking that this change, if it sounds fine, gives access to quite a
> number of nodes to apprentices. Just giving apprentices access to stg
> machines might be sufficient no ?

The platform is usually the same.  We usually have the same services running
on it.  Ideally we have different versions of the service running on it only
when we're queueing up a new release or testing a hotfix.  Not always the
case though.

They probably can get most of the same information from stg as they
can in production most of the time.  however, we do give apprentices access
to most other production machines so seems to fit in from that point of view:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Apprentice#Access_to_many_infrastructure_machines

-Toshio