Cloud status report and request for feedback on policies

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Aug 29 17:48:29 UTC 2012

Greetings.

I thought I would give a quick status update on our private cloud work
(which skvidal has been doing. Thanks skvidal! )

Our hardware in all in and working.
Our network is up and working.
We have a test instance of eucalyptus up and running with a pair of
machines.

Short term:

I'd like to test out Openstack on another 3 nodes or so. It's come a
ways since we evaluated it last.

We need to test more with the admin/command line tools.

We need to figure out how we want to setup groups/users/etc.

We need to repave everything and re-install it in a controlled and
documented manner.

Outstanding questions:

Policy:

I figured we would start out with a small group of folks with access
and expand based on feedback and capacity.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_private_cloud
has some use cases we thought of.

Questions I would love feedback on:

What expectation do we want on reboots? They can go down at any
time, or 'we will try and let you know if we want to reboot things' or
we plan on doing a maint window every X and your instances WILL be
rebooted?

What timeframe should we tell people they can use instances?
Do we want to kill them after some specific time?
Note that if we want to use this for dev instances, we may want to at
least snapshot before taking down.

What sort of policy do we want on "Fedora relatedness" for instances?
I don't think we want to offer general instances for people, but how to
explain the line? Do we want to specifically forbid any uses?

What ports do we want to allow folks to use? Anything? 80/443/22 only?

How about persistent data storage? We promise to keep data for X
timeframe? We make no promises? We keep as long as we have storage
available?

I think we should have a very broad 'catch all' at the end of the
policy allowing us to refuse service to anyone for any reason, allowing
us to shutdown instances that cause problems. Or should we word that
more narrowly?

How often do we want to update images? Say we have a Fedora 17 image
for folks, would we want to update it daily with updates? weekly? Just
when we feel like it? When security bugs affect ssh ? When security
issues affect the kernel?

Any other policy related questions folks can think of?