Cloud status report and request for feedback on policies

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:56:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 01:33:21PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:53:06 +0200
> Xavier Lamien <laxathom at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > Does this "private cloud" intend to replace the publictests.* system
> > in place in a near future?
>
> Yes. we have already largely phased out public test systems in favor of
> $application.dev instances for development of applications.
>
> If we can work it, I'd love for our *dev instances to move to this as
> well. I suspect many of them are idle a lot of the time, and it would
> be great to have it so a dev could just bring one up, work on it, and
> then snapshot/drop it.

yeah, I was going to say that some of these make a lot of sense for things
that are easily reproducible (copr builders, for instance) while not making
sense for things where someone might be using it longer term (pkgdb01.dev
where the dev is using it as the primary box to do developmenton.)

But the development boxes aren't utilized 100% of the time so if we can:

1) snapshot the data so that there isn't a setup cost
2) let the dev bring the instance up on their own

then we should be able to halt the instances when we determine that they've
been idle and the dev can bring them back up when they get back to working
on it.

For something like pkgdb01.dev, the things that are modified are:

* apache config in /etc/httpd/conf.d/pkgdb.conf
* code checkout in /srv/dev/
* Database -- in this case postgres so /var/lib/pgsql
** Note that database dump and reload may take quite a while.  So to capture
   this data we might want to stop the database server and then snapshot the
   databases data files.

* Other apps have other data stores as well -- packages has a xapian db,
  for instance.

-Toshio