Running Mailman on big FOSS projects - Mozilla

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:37:26 UTC 2012

On 17 December 2012 19:04, Michael Burns <burnsie at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Oh hello there Infrastructure@,
>
> Are there any plans to use the HyperKitty[0] project at lists.fp.o in the foreseeable future? To that end, has there been any serious attempts at migrating lists.fedoraproject.org to Mailman v3 from v2?

There are plans in doing so, but we have not tried moving to mailman 3
at this time. Our plans to approach that are in the spring after
Fedora 18 is out the door.

> Do you use stock Mailman 2 rpm, if not, are the patchesets that you use available? Likewise, can your puppet module(s) for mailman (similar to [1]?) be made available, even with identifying information removed? Mozilla is in the process of auditing their puppet modules for an eventual public release, so I realize this can be a tricky topic with regards to security.

We use stock mailman with a bunch of hot-patches to remove the ability
for people to choose passwords. Due to the lack of encryption and the
fact that people reuse passwords too much we changed the templates for
where the password is chosen and just let mailman do the choosing for
us.

We really don't have much in the way of puppet and mailman. It
basically makes sure the package is installed and then hotfixes the
files over the templates. I will look to what we have and see if it
contains anything sensitive. It will probably later this week before I
can get it done and approved.