Introduction

Daniel J. Ashcom dashcom at alumni.iu.edu
Wed Jan 4 03:45:22 UTC 2012

Greetings to everyone!

      My name's Danny and I wanted to introduce myself and offer my help
with the Fedora Infrastructure group.  I just finished a grad-level
course last semester on Linux administration (CentOS 6) and will be
studying soon for RHCSA.  I've been casually learning Linux for a few
years now.  My experience is limited to simple shell scripts and basic
administration tasks but I'm a fast learner and really excited about
helping out and expanding my skill-set.

      I finally took the plunge and switched my laptop over to Fedora
16, which I use for all of my daily computing needs.  To me it's much
more than just a hobby because I have strong convictions about the open
source software movement and I see the importance that the internet
plays vis a vis social media and political awakenings just this last
year.  That's not to mention I have so many long-standing interests that
intersect here (writing, web design & digital art, security,
programming, music production, increasing the utilization of computers
for treatment of PTSD and other forms of mental illness.)  I'm also a
therapist, by the way.

      I'm very much interested in:
--learning Perl, Python or any other languages that could be put to use;
(my)SQL;
--system administration;
--troubleshooting;
--writing content;

     What I've learned so far:
I may not remember every bit of it but last semester I covered a wide
range of essential system administration tasks such as service
management, securing systems, setting up web, ftp, ntp, nfs and other
servers, mySQL, basic Bash and Perl scripting, basic Java, C
programming, backups, troubleshooting and many other things.

Thanks and I very much look forward to developing a working relationship
with all of you and the many things I will undoubtedly learn from doing
so.  Please let me know where I can begin in becoming a productive
member of the team.

Danny Ashcom (irc: dashcom)