cron jobs and puppet

Pablo Iranzo Gómez Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 07:27:25 UTC 2012

Probably not related, but at my home setup I use at 'site.pp':

# manage cron jobs in separate files - call with enable => "false" to delete the job
define cron_job( $enable = "true", $interval = "daily", $script = "", $package = "" ) {
        file { "/etc/cron.$interval/$name":
                content         => $script,
                ensure          => $enable ? {
                        "false" => absent,
                        default => file,
                },
                force           => true,
                owner           => root,
                group           => root,
                mode            => $interval ? {
                        "d"     => 644,
                        default => 755,
                },
                require         => $package ? {
                        ""      => undef,
                        default => $package,
                },
        }
}

So I can create new cron jobs like:

        cron_job { "test":
                interval        => "hourly",
		enable		=> "false",
                script          => "#!/bin/bash
PATH=/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
date >> /tmp/test.log
",
     		}

Would this be useful for Fedora Infrastructure?

Regards
Pablo