mulling the idea of a Infrastructure Security FAD (fedora activity day)

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jun 13 03:54:54 UTC 2012

El Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:03:48 -0600
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> escribió:
> Greetings.
>
> I've been toying with the idea of a Fedora Infrastructure FAD (Fedora
> Activity Day) around getting our security tasks further along/mapped
> out, or just done. We can do all these things remotely, but sitting
> down with less distractions and getting things done or deciding on
> roadmaps may work faster/better in person.
>
> More information on FAD's:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Activity_Day_-_FAD
>
> Some possible Goals:
>
> * Put in place our 2 factor authentication solution.
> 	- Enable globally for sudo.
> 	- Come up with plan/roadmap for applications 2 factor
> 	  authentication.
> 	- enable more 2nd factors if we only have one working.
> 	  (yubikey, google authenticator, others?)
> * Revamp firewall rules to further restrict traffic between machines.
> * Come up with a better plan for signing servers
> 	- In puppet or out of puppet?
> 	- On demand vs always on
> 	- ssh access, console, 2factor?
> * Hash out a roadmap or plans around git commit signing.
> 	- See if this is something we want to do
> * Work on FAS security enhancements
> 	- backup email address?
> 	- security questions?
> 	- better gpg integration?
> 	- handling for 2 factor auth
> * Setup a simple IDS of some kind?
> 	- Notice non standard traffic in our internal nets
> * Finish up keys.fedoraproject.org and announce it.
> * Clean up selinux AVCs and move more things to enforcing.
> * Your brilliant Fedora Infrastructure security related idea here.
>
> Possible dates:
>
> last week of Aug, First week of Sept?
> (This puts us between the Alpha and Beta freezes, and is possibly
> enough notice to get better airfair/etc rates).
> somewhere in 2012-08-27 to 2012-09-10

I am going to be in Australia July 22 - Sept 2  so this really doesnt
work for me.

> First 2 weeks in Nov?
> (After F18 is released, before thanksgiving)
> somewhere in 2012-11-05 to 2012-11-16

would be better and probably a good time to get other folks to help.

> Right before next Fudcon?
> 2013-01-15 to 2013-01-17?
>
> Your exciting better dates here.
>
> Possible locations:
>
> Red Hat HQ in RDU?
> 	pros: can probably get a room/network and pull in other RH
> folks
>
> Westford, MA
> 	pros: could probably get a room/network and pull in other RH
> 	engr folks.
I think westford would be preferable.  just because of more Red Hat
engineers to pull in.

> Other location here:
> 	must be cheap to fly to/stay at, and have a facility we could
> 	meet at and use.
>
> So, this is more a 'is there enough interest in this to peruse it'
> type of email.
>
> How many folks would be interested in going to something like this?
>
> What dates or places would you prefer?
>
> Is there another topic that would be a better thing to do than
> Security? I can think of several more topics if we would prefer
> something else (Fixing our application logging could be it's own FAD
> by itself).

working on replacing the makefile based CA we use today with dogtag or
something else thats a bit more robust.

Oh and im extremely interested in being involved.

Dennis