To get clear stats about our community

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 14 08:22:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

Months ago, we all changed our password and ssh keys.
Many accounts have been marked as inactive, for those who have not
changed their password. (Or disabled, I forgot).

As an ambassador, each time I have the following questions:
- How many contributors are there?
- How many contributors are there in your local community?

Yes we have some stats, about wiki edits, RPM package downloads through yum, …
We already spoke about that, but don't know if something has been
implemented or if someone is working on it.
Is there a ticket?

What would be awesome is to get new stats for each release (or
bi-release cycle?) of:
- Total number of active FAS account
- Total number of active FAS account on each main FAS group (infra,
docs, web, packager, qa… (not l10n as it is through transifex.net))

But first of all, we need to clearly define the FAS "active" status.
If I remember correctly, there is also a "disabled" account status,
which is part of the password change action… Close accounts are
disabled, which is different than the not active ones.
The active status should match:
- Last wiki edit
- Last mailing list message
- Last FAS connection
- Last commit (bodhi/koji), check also the fedorahosted projects?
- More?
The timeout to become inactive should probably match one release cycle.

Is it feasible?

The quite obsolete page is:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

--