No subject

Mon Jun 18 16:48:03 UTC 2012

Django has a good track record of making new releases with clear porting<br=

guides for making changes in your old code on run on the new versions.<br>
However, it is conceptually something of an application server (like JBoss)=
,<br>
not a pure framework like Turbogears. =C2=A0At the least, this would requir=
e some<br>
thought on our part on how to deploy and code for it.<br>
Flask seems to be lighter weight in terms of its deps and in terms of its<b=
r>
learning curve. =C2=A0It&#39;s pretty easy to run a flask app in openshift.=
 =C2=A0If we<br>
were to choose just two frameworks, it might make sense to choose flask as<=
br>
an entry level framework for smaller applications and one other framework<b=
r>
with lots of bells and whistles for things that need those features.<br></b=
lockquote><div><br>Sounds like a a good candidate for the purpose --&gt; pr=
yle=3D"margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padd=
ing-left:1ex">

TurboGears2 is still developed upstream. =C2=A0Some of the main developers =
have<br>
moved on to work on pyramid but others are continuing to work on TG2.<br>
Upstream has committed to doing the necessary work to port TG2 to python3<b=
r>
but much of the TG2 underlying stack is in maintenance mode so the TG2 devs=
have had to do some of that work themselves.<br>
Pyramid is a merging of certain segments of the zope community and the<br>
pylons community. =C2=A0If pylons has a successor, this is it. =C2=A0Since =
TG2 was<br>
built on pylons, pyramid might be the next logical step (or a web framework=
se between a full-stack and a low-level one...<br>Or are you pointing out t=
hat maybe we should go for TG2 as we could expect have pyramid as a core ba=
se?<br>

ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
=3D=3D Final thoughts =3D=3D<br>
My primary goal is to decide what framework to port our old TG1 code to so<=
br>
that we can stop maintaining the TG1 stack before upstream stops working on=
it at all. =C2=A0My secondary concern is that we stop growing the other sta=
cks<br>
that we&#39;re maintaining and concentrate on one or two which will make<br=

mainenance easier. =C2=A0Can we choose two frameworks right now that will s=
uit<br>
our needs? =C2=A0It seems that flask can serve a niche and maybe should be =
one of<br>
them. =C2=A0What should our bells and whistles framework be? =C2=A0TG2 or p=
yramid or<br>
ly, That should be related to the dev team capabilities for the &quot;somet=
hing else entirely&quot;<br>where I can only see TG2 for now unless people&=
#39;s hacking on new web framework?<br>

r><a href=3D"http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/XavierLamien">http://fedoraproje=
ct.org/wiki/XavierLamien</a><br>

GPG-Key ID: F3903DEB<br>Fingerprint: 0F2A 7A17 0F1B 82EE FCBF 1F51 76B7 A28=
D F390 3DEB<br>

--485b397dd697c9118104c41ec76a--