Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Marcel

marcel at light-in-darkness.de marcel at light-in-darkness.de
Thu Mar 8 21:16:13 UTC 2012

Hello dear Fedora Community,

my name is Marcel. I am a 26 years old, born in southern Africa and
currently living in Germany.
A large part of my private and professional life is dedicated to Linux
and opensource/GNU-GPL software.

I'd like to contribute to the Fedora Project in some capacity. I don't
know in which capacity I can (or may) be of most use.
This is why I would like to describe my IT activity.

I learnt my trade as a Systems Integrator at a vocational college in
Germany. I now work as a technical contractor for a german IT service
organisation.
My active technical topics are primarily Linux and networking, but for
the sake of completeness, I'll include...

...virtualization. Primarily with VMWare, but also with RHEV.

...Microsoft products. I'm not a fan of Microsoft, and probably never
will be. But as an IT professional it's almost impossible to avoid
contact with Microsoft solutions. As a result I'm able to set up
Active Directories as well as Exchange and Sharepoint servers.

...networking and network security. This includes the configuration of
routers, firewalls and switches as well as network design. I implement
the occaisional VPN gateway.
I'm certified as CCNA and CCNA Security.

...network and system monitoring. I design and implement monitoring
solutions for customers ranging from small branch offices up to
nationwide organisations (several thousand employees and thousands of
devices being monitored). I almost exclusively employee Nagios for
this purpose.

...Linux! My first and greatest love is Linux. I am a Redhat Certified
Systems Administrator and Redhat Certified Engineer. I've done quite a
bit with Linux, including router, firewall, file server, print server,
proxy (with virus scanning, URL filter, etc), web server, mail filter
(virus/spam/etc), virtualization, etc etc.
At work I use RHEL or CentOS for servers, at home I use Fedora for my
desktop/laptop devices.

Due to my work, I've also had the "pleasure" of working with Ubuntu,
SuSE and a bit of HP-UX.

I would be happy to receive suggestions on how I can contribute most
sensibly based on my skill set.

Thank you for your time. I hope we can work together in furthering
Fedora and Linux in general.

Kind regards,

Marcel