Moving darkserver to a staging instance

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Mar 14 18:46:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:45:40 +0530
Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> >
> > So, from my discussions with you on IRC, I think:
> >
> > We setup a single instance for this.
> > We put it behind our proxy servers to allow for some caching at a
> > local area level.
> I have a few questions on load balancing. Say if we have only one
> instance and it goes down for some reason, it will not get the records
> from koji during downtime.

yeah. After talking on IRC with you it sounds like we are going to
change things so the koji plugin is the thing that directly talks to
the db, so it shouldn't result in any loss if the frontend is down.

> So if we have a load balancer and more than 1 instance (say 2) , will
> the load balancer push all requests to the live instance ?
> If yes, then having a load balancer is a good idea.

It would.

Would this be useful for end users? Or would it be ok to have limited
downtime and they would just retry again later?

> > Do we need any SOP's for this service? Is there any administration
> > that we might need to run on it day to day or in case of power
> > outage, etc?
> Only thing I know is the regular database backup.

We do this on all our databases. ;)

They cross backup to each other, and also tape backups of all database
machines are done.

> > What kind of db does this instance use? Mysql? Postgres?
> MySQL.

ok.

> > What kind of communication needs to happen between this and the koji
> > plugin? We may run into some issues here as we have a seperate
> > builder network that koji is on... so we will need to figure out
> > how to get them to communicate.
> Currently the koji-plugin connects to the server using XMLRPC.  They
> can communicate if they can reach each other. Not sure how the current
> infra works.

ok. Sounds like this won't be a problem.