Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Jeffrey S. Haemer

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 02:08:42 UTC 2012

Hi.  I'm Jeff, and I'm a neophile.  (Everybody: "Hi, Jeff.")

I'm sitting in Caffe Sole, in Boulder, Colorado, which is on Mountain Time.

I started doing Unix over 30 years ago.  My first commercial Unix job was
working on the first port of Unix to an Intel box.  I have an original set
of PC/IX disks and manuals in my office.  5 1/4" floppies.  "Why, when I
was a boy, ...." etc.  You'd think I'd have learned something, wouldn't
you?

Wrong.

Still, I keep trying as a sentinel.  They say you can't teach an old dog
new tricks, so when I finally learn something, I'll know I'm entering my
second childhood.

One thing I'm hot to learn is Puppet.  I finally talked my boss into
letting me take a 3-day course from Puppet Labs, which means I know the
basics, but would now like adult supervision.  I meet friends to geek out
every Thursday, and can probably do 2-4 hours a week, then.

I know some C and Perl, more shell, and a bit of Ruby.  I do SCM, so I can
get by in git and write Makefiles and stuff.  My English is better than
you'd expect, even though it *is* my native language.

My IRC handle is "goyishekop".

More questions?  Ask away.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>