GSoC idea to setup Gitlab for Fedora Hosted, looking for mentors

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Tue Mar 20 14:39:42 UTC 2012

În data de Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:32:15 +0200, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>
a scris:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:42:59 +0200
> Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:
>

>> If all this stuff sounds interesting, I would be happy to present a
>> draft on how we could solve FedoraHosted transition to Gitlab, and
>> ensure its well maintained from now on.
>>
>> Lately I started to hang on
>> #fedora-summer-coding|#jbosstesting at freenode, but I'm not sure whom I
>> should query. I can't see Dan either online.
>>
>> I also have a Github account: https://github.com/stas
>> and a resume: http://stas.github.com/resume.html
>>
>> Thanks in advance for reading this, and I'm looking forward for your
>> reply.
>
> Well, the big hurdles with this project were mentioned in the previous
> thread. To my mind the first big problem is getting mod_passenger
> packaged, and thats something that you may not have much control over.
> (It will be done when it's done).
>
> Next would be making sure that there's a group of people who know how
> to manage/maintain/operate things so that after the summer is over
> there's not a abandonded proof of concept no one can use. ;)

Thanks a lot for openness! :)

Not sure passenger is the problem.
Gitlab uses the awesome Resque[1], so you will need something like
foreman[2] to run the app with it's workers all together (at least this is
the easiest way to do that).
I would go with a different stack like unicorn[4] as the webserver and use
apache (if you really want to keep it, other-way I would consider nginx)
as a reverse proxy.

[1]: https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/blob/master/Gemfile#L29
[2]:
http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/procfile#developing_locally_with_foreman