GSoC idea to setup Gitlab for Fedora Hosted, looking for mentors

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Tue Mar 20 22:02:48 UTC 2012

În data de Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:47:46 +0200, Dan Allen
<dan.j.allen at gmail.com> a scris:

> Stas,
>
> I didn't mean to leave you hanging (I've been really backlogged atm).

No worries, was just hoping an irc chat would save us from a bunch of
emails.

> That
> aside...I am *thrilled* that you've expressed interest in the gitlab
> adoption/migration project. With the success of github in mind as a
> model,
> I see tremendous potential for the impact this can have on the Fedora
> community and every community that extends from it. The transparency and
> insight that gitlab offers into the source code (just as github does)
> cannot be underestimated. It makes open source...eye opening.

Can't agree more.

> I recognize there are some big hurdles in this project, and there's no
> question it will be a touch challenge. But there are two guiding lights
> here:
>
> - There are other groups that need this packaging problem solved (e.g.,
> mod_passanger), so you are not alone (the open source openshift stack
> needs
> this as well, and badly, so the ball will be rolling well before the
> summer
> begins)
> - This will be one of the most visible outcomes, if successful, across
> all
> of GSoC. People will come out of the hedges to support it, everything in
> my
> gut leads me to believe that.
>
> I don't want be overly optimistic, but hopefully that expresses some of
> the
> reasoning that compelled me to propose the project.
>
> As I mentioned in the other thread, I'll be around, but not likely a
> mentor. Anyone else here would be a better fit, plus I'm already
> over-committed to projects atm. However, what I can do is assist where I
> can to get in touch with people that are interested in assisting with the
> project, will become part of the long-term support team or can solve
> issues
> beyond your control. Even the gitlab team has expressed interest in doing
> whatever they can to support the adoption, so you won't be alone.
>
> Ask questions, be bold, acknowledge the challenges and don't be afraid to
> share your own vision for the project. I'll finish with advice my my
> grandfather told me many times, "where there's a will, there's a way".

Thanks a lot for encouragement.
So far looks like a big problem is packaging, and although packaging is
not the real scope of this project, it sounds fair for me to consider
helping packagers bring the tools the project will need the best way.
I'm really glad I could raise the questions that were discussed recently,
since this will help a lot to draft a good application.

Regarding mentorship, I wouldn't make it a big problem.
I believe technical assistance won't be needed, if we can manage the
communication with the infrastructure team (probably through this list),
that should be pretty much enough for me to finish the project
successfully (still, you will probably have to respond to Google's
evaluation requests or code reviews).

I'll stay in touch through this list if there are any other questions that
need to be addressed.