qa machine management

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:25:35 UTC 2012

On 30 March 2012 17:17, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Just had a talk with tflink on IRC about the management of the qa
> network machines. Long ago when we setup those machines we were
> thinking we could use them as a testbed for bcfg2 to see if we wanted
> to start using it or if it worked ok, etc. I setup a bcfg2 server to
> try this with, but sadly have never found the time to even start
> configuring it.
>
> Machines involved:
>
> virthost-comm01.qa (real hardware)
> autoqa01.qa (guest)
> autoqa-stg01.qa (guest)
> lockbox-comm01.qa (guest)
> bastion-comm01.qa (guest)
> (someday we may add a sign-bridge-comm01 and sign-vault-comm01 to allow
> secondary archs like ppc and arm to sign packages).

> - Try and push forward with a bcfg2 setup on lockbox-comm01.qa and
>  evaluate it. This would be nice, but I'm really not sure anyone has
>  the time to do it.

Actually I think I do have the time to do this. I can start on this
after I get back from recovery.. late next week early week after.

> - Just add all the above machines to our puppet repo and configure them
>  there and call it done. This would mean they wouldn't be seperate
>  from us and we just update and configure and monitor them like any
>  other machine.
>
> - Try and work out some setup with ansible or the like to see if it
>  could manage them. Again, this would be a learning and tweaking
>  curve, so not sure we have the time.

I actually would like to pursue this over bcfg. I don't think we have
any bcfg experts but we do have ansible experts.

So

a) I give bcfg2 a go and see how it looks. Report back by end of 3rd
week of april.
b) I then work on ansible. and see if it is better/harder/easier than bcfg2.

or

a) I just go for ansible and give bcfg2 the heave ho?