FYI, pkgs git process cleanup

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed May 16 16:13:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012 11:07:07 +0800
Mathieu Bridon <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Was one of them coming from Hong Kong?

Not sure. ;)

> If so, please accept my apologies.

I don't think it was you. (Or any specific ip). :)

The problem was mainly that there were a bunch of stuck git processes,
that seemed to be counted against the limits in xinetd. It has a '50
connections per second and if you hit that, disable for 10 seconds'
setting. I think all the stale connections were counting against the 50
connection limit and making it hit it all the time...

...snip...

> So... Is there such an environment? Or is it just a bad idea for me to
> hit the Fedora git in this way, and I should find another way to check
> for updates?

No, there's not... but I don't think your script caused this. ;)

> I haven't done any upload yesterday (only fetches by the
> aforementioned script), and I clone anonymously (to avoid the SSH
> overhead, not to pretend it's not me), so I'm not responsible for
> these ones.

git upload-pack is the anon ones via xinetd. Thats it sending data out
to the connection.

> But again, sorry for the trouble I may have caused.
>
> I'll pause my working on this script for now, let me know if what I'm
> doing is ok for Fedora and if I can resume it.

I think it's fine to resume... and we can ping you if we see problems
with it.