tools for building cloud images in the buildsystem

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Nov 12 16:02:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:48:18 -0500 (EST)
Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
> > Background: appliance-creator, as part of Thincrust, isn't really
> > maintained anymore. It'd be nice to switch to something else.
> > There's two main options that I can see:
> >
> > 1. ami-creator, as maintained by the Eucalyptus project. This
> > basically works the same way as the appliance-creator but is
> > maintained.
> >
> > 2. livemedia-creator. This does a "real" install, using anaconda
> > inside a VM.
> >
> > The second has the obvious disadvantage of needing to launch a VM.
> > Richard Jones suggest that running under fully-emulated qemu
> > layered in a VM builder might not be so bad because we'll be
> > io-bound anyway.
> >
> > It has the advantage of doing exactly what anaconda does, which
> > will make it easier to track the standard Fedora install. We'd also
> > be less insulated from possible breakage due to anaconda
> > development, which from an overall point of view is both good and
> > bad.
> >
> > In any case, I'd like to start running an image creation task
> > automatically nightly if possible.
> >
> > What do the people actually running the builders think about this?
> >

> Dumb question time - for building an image using ami-creator you just
> need fast access to the just-built/koji repos an instance to run
> ami-creator on and a place to store the results....
>
> Why don't  we spin up a persistent euca instance, give you some disk
> space and a cron job. You can just run ami-creator w/a sensible
> kickstart...
>
> Trivial and disposable.

For short term/testing I think this is a great idea.

Longer term, we really need to figure out what "official" cloud images
are going to be made with and where. I guess thats a conversation with
koji upstream and rel-eng and cloud sig. I personally don't have any
horse in that race, but having something thats controlled and
repeatable is I am sure a must.