Fedora/Infra/Gluster halp? Fwd: cloud disk benchmarks

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 8 14:57:58 UTC 2012

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Jeff Darcy wrote:
>> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/cloudbench.txt
>
> Two things jump out at me from these results.  First is that using GlusterFS
> replication for ephemeral storage seems . . . strange.  Is there some reason
> that the OpenStack setup can't use local storage like the Eucalyptus one does?
> Using remote storage for ephemeral is just always going to be sub-optimal no
> matter how well that remote storage works.

Our primary reasons for using gluster here were two:
1. to use all the space available on all of the nodes - compute and
storage/networking
2. to have a common disk backend for openstack to enable their live
migration capability - so we can migrate instances off of compute node so
we can put it in downtime.

> The second thing is the ratios between Euca/iSCSI and OS/GlusterFS speeds.
> Here are the numbers worked out:
>
> 	sequential read: 5.2x to 6.0x
> 	random read: 3.1x to 6.0x
> 	sequential write: 5.7x to 8.2x
> 	random write: 1.7x to 2.0x
>
> This is a bit surprising, because I've always thought of random writes as one
> of our worst cases.  Apparently it's also someone else's, though we still get
> beaten.  It's also interesting that the worse numbers (for us) tend to be at
> the higher thread counts, which is kind of contrary to our being all about
> scalability rather than per-thread performance.  These results are grim.

They are kind of brutal but the conditions underwhich I was testing them
was about the same between the two cloudlets.

> I'm inclined to think that the read results - as bad as they might be - aren't
> the problem here because reads can benefit from caching and locality of
> reference.

>  Seth, let me know if that's not true for your workload.  The real
> problem is writes.  The report for random write seems inconsistent here, with
> very low throughput but also very low latency.  I'll go with the throughput
> numbers and say that for 4KB requests we're looking at ~160 IOPS.  Blech.  If
> it were me, I'd stick with the Euca instances for this workload unless/until we
> figure out why GlusterFS is performing so horribly.

Our goal is to use gluster to let us do live migrations. We've discussed
the possibility of having separate cloudlets on purpose - so we can have
use cases of disposable/fast instances and longer-term, reliable
instances. And I think we're all on board with that, actually. There's
just no harm in wanting cake and ice cream. Sometimes you might not get
them both. :)

Thanks for the analysis, Jeff.

-sv