cloud disk benchmarks

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 8 15:05:00 UTC 2012

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> - AIUI gluster can be less than optimal for lots of small writes - esp. when doing replication - I don't know if you have looked at all of the translators, there are a few performance/write
> translators that can help improve this.

Indeed - we're usin gluster to backend hosted - so we know it has some
issues with small writes. Our reason for using it is mostly for a shared,
reliable fs - specifically so we can use the live migration features of
openstack

> - If this stuff is on a LAN that is slow/bogged down/not operating at Full Pipe Speedz then that could cause suckage (depending on ... things?? just recalling vague things in my brain... could be
> worth a shot.)

The lan is completely free and clear of anything other than the
cloud-noise.

> Anyway, I'm forwarding on to the gluster folks (john mark, eco, jeff, kaleb) in the hopes they might be able to help fine-tune things; I know that john mark has been curious about how things are
> going anyhow.

Thanks - I had planned on pinging jeff today but you beat me to it.
-sv