tracking cloud instances

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Oct 17 20:45:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:02:00 -0400 (EDT)
Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> So - as we noodle around with cloud instances more the most obvious
> problem I have seen is getting a list of instance ids like:
>
> i-F7AA3F96
> i-77B34039
> i-B1EB403D
> i-2C294684
>
> and then trying to figure out which ones are jenkins slaves, the
> torrent seed test and the fedocal instance. And which can be nuked
> safely or not.
>
> I'm thinking we need a tool that would poll the cloudlet(s), retrieve
> all the basic, available, info about the running instances.

I agree.

> Then admins could either add metadata to any given instance id to
> know whence things come.
>
> Data I'd be interested in having:
> - who owns it - not just the account/tenant

Ideally I'd like an email address we can use to contact the responsible
party. Or perhaps a primary and a backup.

> - what it is for
> - expected expiration date (if any)
> - who should have access to it (usernames from fas and or group names
> from fas, ideally) - this will make keeping ssh keys on it somewhat
> sane
> - what, if any, configuration script was run on it (eg: an ansible
> playbook)

If this thing ends up having a database, perhaps we could just store
history on it? when started, what playbooks, etc.
We might also be able to get some accounting data... BW used, etc.

> - published urls and where they should alias from?
>

> Now we probably also need something that keeps a list of persistent
> instances we should always restart and register them.
>
> for example: let's say we want one instance always running as a
> simple webserver - maybe as a touchstone to verify the cloud is
> always working. So we should be able to register this instance. Say
> which img it should use, what security group, etc and note that it
> should ALWAYS be running. Then when that instance is running its
> instance id/public ip should be registered in the db listed above.

Yeah, I think that would be nice/good.

> We can use the data in the db to generate aliases, perhaps.
>
> still fleshing out these ideas.

yeah, there's a ton of ways we could work things. I think we are just
going to have to feel them out and adjust over time as we get better at
seeing whats where and how we can use it.