Introduction Fedocal

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Mon Sep 17 17:27:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Kevin asked me to present Fedocal a little bit.

Fedocal is a web-application aiming at providing a central place for
Fedora calendar related data.
My first thoughts while doing this was the #fedora-meeting{,-1,-2} IRC
channels, but I do think it could work as well for any other calendar
related information (releases?, infra?).

== What does it do?
* Admin can create calendar(s)
* Calendar are managed by a FAS group
* People within this FAS group can create meetings on this calendar
* While creating meeting, the creator can specify co-managers for the
meeting.
* Only the manager(s) can edit and delete meetings (and only in the
future)

* Meetings have a date, starting and stopping time and a free text field
which can contain any information (agenda, introduction...).
* Meetings can be recursive until the end of time == 2121-12-31*, or
until a specified time and their frequency can be every 7 or 14 days.
* Meetings can have a reminder.
* Reminder are sent 12h, 24h, 48h or 168h (7days) before the meetings[2]
* Reminders can be sent to several email address (comma separated)[2]

* Meetings can be deleted/edited either a single meeting, or all the
future meetings of a recursive meeting.

* The calendars have a weekly view which can be browsed
* The calendars can also be pointed to a single date, it will then
return the view of the week
ie: /#fedora-meeting2/2012/9/25 will return the week view of the 25h of
September, same for /#fedora-meeting2/2012/9/28

== Future plans?

* The first is for sure, see if this application can be useful
* Finish up what needs to be
* Take into account the timezone returned by the FAS for the user to
display the calendar. Maybe having two columns one with UTC one with the
local time.
* Provide a iCal/Caldav output so that we can couple it to a calendar
client [3]
* See with Mizmo to give Fedocal a nicer look :)
* Testing!

Fedocal is still work in progress but there is already some things
nicely working. It will requires some more work but I think it is duable
to have something basic quikly there.

The big question is then: do we consider this useful or should we try to
move to a real calendar solution with the reminder function added ?

Best regards,
Pierre

[1] Why 2121-12-31? Because 21+21=42
[2] This work is still to be done (probably a script to run via a
cronjob at first)
[3] This will require quite some work and probably more than I can put
in during my free time

PS: I am opening now the discussion but I'll be away for 10 days
starting on Wednesday (morning, US time)