Freeze Break Request - koji fedmsg plugin

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 16:23:35 UTC 2013

dgilmore noted in channel that the koji fedmsg plugin is producing
tracebacks like the following:

 Error running postBuildStateChange callback from _koji_plugin__fedmsg-koji-plugin: Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/koji/plugin.py", line 165, in run_callbacks
     func(cbtype, *args, **kws)
   File "/usr/lib/koji-hub-plugins/fedmsg-koji-plugin.py", line 94, in send_message
     body = get_message_body(topic, *args, **kws)
   File "/usr/lib/koji-hub-plugins/fedmsg-koji-plugin.py", line 50, in get_message_body
     msg['owner'] = kojihub.get_user(info['owner_id'])['name']
 KeyError: 'owner_id'

The error is not occurring for *all* postBuildStateChange calls, only for
some.  We are not sure if this has been happening since the fedmsg plugin
was introduced or if it is a result of the koji upgrade that happened last
night.  It is not causing koji to fail, but the subset of build state change
messages that hit this traceback are not being published.  It is also adding
noise to the koji logs.

The koji fedmsg plugin is kept in puppet, so we can patch it there (it is
not in an rpm).  The following patch should do the trick:
http://ralph.fedorapeople.org/0001-Silence-intermittant-koji-tracebacks.patch

For some messages, a None (null in json) will be published for the first time
in the owner field.  The code that parses those messages on the consuming
side can be found here: http://bit.ly/16jqhtq  It looks like it can handle
a None without causing any further issues.  I can't say for certain about any
third-party code that may be listening to koji/buildsys messages and whether
or not it can handle a None/null.

I'm looking for two +1s to apply the patch above to clean up the koji logs.

-Ralph