Fedora 19 Alpha Freeze in effect.

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Apr 3 18:44:42 UTC 2013

Sorry about the broken link there. ;)

So, we had a bit of discussion on IRC the other day around this.

Our current freeze document is:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/fedora-infrastructure.git/plain/architecture/Environments.png

But thats an image, so it has to be manually edited.
It's missing a lot of hosts we have added or changed over time.
It's not fully clear what the critera is for a host to be in freeze.

Toward that end, I'd like to have a discussion about that, and then we
can figure out a better and more automagic way to display what hosts
are in freeze.

So, some background:

Why do we do freezes? The reason is that we want to make sure to only
make minimal or well reviewed changes before Fedora releases. We don't
want something we change to disrupt a release in any way and having
fewer changes and changes we review helps do just that.

Currently pre-release freezes don't cover as many machines as final
release freezes. The thought there is that pre-releases don't have as
many consumers and not as much changes from other teams around them, so
we can make changes to fringe machines without disrupting them as much.

So, a first cut at critera:

A machine will be frozen if any of the following are true:

1. The machine is needed in the package lifecycle. That includes: source
  code checkin, build system, signing, updates system,
  distribution/mirroring system.

Rationale: We need to build and distribute packages for the release.

2. The machine is needed to allow functions in 1. This includes:
database servers, virthosts with guests in set 1, login/authentication
to updates/buildsys, dns servers, mailing list servers, etc.

Rationale: if dns breaks, no one can download our release, if
login/auth fails, package updates don't work, etc.

3. The machine is needed for monitoring/disaster recovery for 1 or 2.
This includes: backup servers, noc01/02, lockbox01 with
puppet/ansible.

So, you may note that this covers a large number of machines. :)

I think it might be more useful for us to just assume that in a freeze,
"all" machines are frozen, except for ones we specifically exempt from
freeze.

* All of staging shouldn't be frozen. So, if it has *stg* in it's
  hostname it's ok.

* All of dev should never freeze. So if it has '*dev*' in it's
  hostname it's ok.

What other machines should we say aren't frozen?
Or should we just say 'stg' and 'dev' and thats it? (That would make it
simple to know, but make it harder to make changes on fringe machines).

What about things like:

ask
packages01/02
people03
paste01
busgateway01
hosted-lists01
openid01/02 (if hosted uses this does that make it more frozen?)
darkserver01
unbound*
value03

Thoughts?