Some general Puppet questions and one Git clarify

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Apr 11 15:25:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:45:48 +0100
Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not wanting to flood irc, break something,
> or in case of missing meeting by accident. :(

No problem. Questions are always good. ;) Happy to answer.

> Bastion:
>
>  ~]$ puppet
> Usage: puppet command <space separated arguments>
> Available commands are: agent, apply, cert, describe, doc,
>  filebucket, inspect, kick, master, queue, resource
>

> ~]$ puppet resource User me
> Could not run: Could not find a default provider for User
>

> ~]$ puppet describe
> No help available unless you have RDoc::usage installed
>

> ~]$ puppet inspect
> Could not prepare for execution: Inspect requires reporting to be
> enabled. Set report=true in puppet.conf to enable reporting.

Yeah, bastion01 is a puppet client. This means that all it does is runs
from cron puppet client and pulls config from lockbox01. The puppet
command line is pretty terse and not very useful unless you can run it
as root generally.

> Hosted02:
>
> (using some local commands to find my way.)
> cat trac.ini | less
>
> Couldn't find an entry for Freemedia in [intertrac]
> How does it live?

It should be under /srv/web/trac/projects/freemedia/

The trac files under there are the ini file, and the sqlite db that has
all the data for tickets, etc in it.

>  ~]$ puppet filebucket
> No help available unless you have RDoc::usage installed
>
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/docs/puppet.txt
> <snip/>
> lockbox01:
>
>    The following commands will check out all GIT configs from a local
>    shell on lockbox01.phx2.fedoraproject.org:
>
>  git clone /git/puppet
>
> Does it mean local shell on lockbox01

Yep. It does. We should probibly clarify that in the document.
Our puppet repo has tons of history and we haven't made it public, so
checkouts and such should all be done from a shell on lockbox01.

> If logged into lockbox01 via ssh,
> or local shell on myownbox
> git clone lockbox01.phx2.fedoraproject.org://git/puppet

Yeah, that won't work. The puppet repo isn't public. I don't think
there's much in it directly that would be sensitive, but it has a long
long history and there could well be things we don't want to make
public in that history. ;(

On the other hand our new ansible repo we are making public from the
start. ;)

Hope that helps, please do feel free to ask more...