Inform GitLab devs about the current situation (was: Interested in Gitlab for Fedora Hosted Projects | GSoC 2013)

Axilleas Pipinellis axilleas at archlinux.gr
Wed Apr 17 11:15:11 UTC 2013

On 04/12/2013 05:20 PM, Ranjib Dey wrote:
> I share the same concerns. We had similar experience with gitorious too.
> And we ended up maintaining our forks. Gitlab shares even more features
> with github than gitorious. I suspect its going to be a high
> maintainance deployment.
>
> Also withe current trend in rubygem packaging its becoming increasingly
> difficult to maintain shared pool of rubygems across apps. One pattern
> many app followed is to create omnibus installer (sensu, chef et al)
> which bundles everything above glibc. But i wont recomnend that for fedora.
>
> On Apr 12, 2013 6:35 AM, "seth vidal" <skvidal at fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:skvidal at fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:47:21 +0200
>     Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com <mailto:vondruch at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>      > Hi Ankur,
>      >
>      > Since GitLab is Ruby on Rails application and the first step is to
>      > package it and all its dependencies for Fedora, I recommend you to
>      > join the Ruby-SIG ML, where is already ongoing discussion about it.
>      >

>     Seems to me the first step is to see if maintaining it and deploying it
>     is actually what we want - which it is not at all clear it is anymore.
>
>     Upstream gitlab devel is pretty negative on public browseability of the
>     trees. They won't even accept patches to do it. Also - if you read
>     their tickets there seems to be some other issue with that.
>
>     Finally, I am concerned that gitlab looking similar to github is a
>     liability. Due to the visual similarity many folks will be expecting
>     some kind of feature parity and it is safe to say that gitlab is very,
>     very far from that and they don't even seem interested in pursuing it.
>
>     That's concerning.
>
>     -sv

Sorry for hijacking Ankur's thread, but since the deadline of the gsoc
application is approaching we need to know if this project stands as
valid. I crafted a draft post [0] to send to gitlab's group. Please
review it and let me know.

PS. There is a fork [1] which supports public browserability. I just
mention it, I don't think we should use patched forks whatsoever.

[0] http://axilleas.github.io/static/files/gsoc13-gitlab-proposal.txt
[1] https://github.com/ArthurHoaro/Public-GitLab