Nagios checks for datanommer/fedmsg

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Mon Apr 29 17:55:21 UTC 2013

I came up with a draft of a nagios/nrpe check for datanommer/fedmsg

    https://gist.github.com/ralphbean/5482129

It queries the datanommer DB and asks for the time since the latest
message in a particular category (i.e., bodhi, buildsys/koji, askbot).

We could configure it to raise a warning if, for example:

- It hasn't seen a buildsys message in the last 30 minutes.
- It hasn't seen a bodhi message in the last 6 hours.
- It hasn't seen a fedoratagger message in the last 2 months.

Since nagios alerts affect lots of people, it should probably be
discussed here or in the infra meeting before being rolled out.

Pierre pointed out in channel that this approach assumes that there *must*
be bodhi activity for such and such amount of time or else something
is wrong.  This could be problematic.  There are times like the
holidays in December when fewer people are contributing to Fedora, in
which case this plugin could throw false positives.  Accordingly, we
would need to set the WARN and CRIT thresholds to be generously long.