Some questions around coprs

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Dec 5 11:52:36 UTC 2013

On 12/04/2013 09:20 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> 1. Do we even want to persue this?

Not my priority. But if somebody will be willing to do it, then you are welcome.

> 2. If so, do we have any ideas how signing copr packages could work?

I did not investigated it yet (again not priority right now) but probably
obs-sign:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Signer
https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-sign
or sigul:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mitr

> 3. Mirroring doesn't seem like it would be that hard, just rsync off
> the repos and push them out in our regular mirroring system. Could be a
> fair bit of churn tho, and there's no set schedule, so we would have to
> decide on frequency, etc.

Copr is just starting. Not so much users right now. I do not think we *need* mirroring right now.
I would put this on back burner and revisit this question in ~9 months.
But again - if somebody is willing to configure it, then he is welcome.

> 4. If coprs moves to being inside koji, could we at that point have a
> better time with these needs?

I think, that it does not matter.

> 5. Perhaps we could propose some kind if pergatory type setup between
> coprs (experemental, just builds, may set your house on fire, may
> update incompatibly every day) and fedora repository packages (with all
> the updates guidelines, reviews, etc).

Whoa! That is completly Fedora.next hidden in this sentence :)

We are preparing something like this for SCL right now:
https://www-dev.softwarecollections.org/en/directory/new/
Note: ^ this may or not work, this is dev instance under heavy development.
It is focused on SCL only.
This will import SCL from Copr and allow to go through some kind of review. And reviewed collections will get some kind
of publicity.
This is sooo fresh that I hesitate to anticipate anything. But if this will succeed, we can do something similar in
higher scale with all projects on Copr.

> Possibly related to this: I wonder if copr could grow a 'meta repo'
> that has all the repodata of all existing coprs. Then you could just
> enable one thing and be able to install any coprs?

Yes. I have in plan to provide such thing. Unfortunately according to yesterday FesCO meeting this could not be shipped
in Fedora itself. At least not yet.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS
Red Hat, Software Engineer, #brno, #devexp, #fedora-buildsys