ansible musings...

Xavier Lamien laxathom at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 22 20:13:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Xavier Lamien wrote:
>

>> How about a dedicated branch for staging where we can merge it into
>> master when ready (just like puppet's)
>> Also, I think git flow coud be a good candidate here to work on a
>> specific 'role' or such.
>> ie, you have staging branch in sync with master, you git flow config
>> start mm_proxy_update, do your cooking, then
>> publish your mm_proxy_update branch, then ansible it for testing. If
>> everything went well, you merge your branch into staging/master
>> depending of the purpose.
>>

> 1. we do not have a stagin branch in puppet anymore. Haven't for a good
> long while

Well, git is saying me we still do
 [laxathom at lockbox01 puppet]$ git branch -r
  origin/FI
  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  origin/fedoracommunity
  origin/master
  origin/staging
  origin/staging-old
  origin/testing

But indeed, last commit is from Feb, 2012.

Anyhow, they're EOL.

> 2. I do not think we should do a separate branch like that, at all. I
> think it makes things hairier than they should be.
>
> 3. If we're going to implement staging I think it should be like how
> puppet is NOW - we duplicate the modules and work on them in there. I know
> it is not 'the git way' but I think it makes it easier to know where you
> stand at any given moment and to be sure you are getting the playbooks you
> expect.
>
> Fair enough.
So, how should we handle the dir.
based on kevin proposal like: