OT: Mailman anti-spam syntax

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Jan 14 15:34:59 UTC 2013

Frank Murphy wrote:
> Apologies for noise, havn't got an answer to this anywhere else.
>
> Trying to prevent spam coming into the fm trac ml.
> created from add ticket in the fm trac.
>
> If in the mailman admin > privacy -spam-filter
> as 1st rule I put:-
> if ^Subject:.* != ^Subject:.*\Wstuff\W
>
> action > discard
>
> Will it discard all Subjects that don't contain "stuff"
> Which is what I want.
>
> Currently have in place:
> ^Subject:.*\Wstuff\W (action > accept)
> which still lets the odd spanner through.
>
> Or would this all have to be done in a backend file somewhere.
> Trying to learn Python on the wing.

I don't believe that you can use python code in the spam-filter entry,
just a regular expression.  There might be a way to express what you
want as a single regex, but it might not be pretty.

I think you could have a second spam filter entry that matched any
subject and discarded.  But I haven't tested that to see if the first
match stops processing of further filters.

The mailman-users is almost surely a better place to get help on
something like this.

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of
another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him."
      --Thomas Jefferson to Francis Gilmer, 1816