Wiki edit statistics - past few months

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 08:15:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

A bit of background regarding this page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

Once a week I get an automated email from a script that Paul has had set up since his FPL days, which contains the following content:
* Updates for the total release connections section, which I use to (with manual calculator work) update current release connections info, and I also get info about direct downloads, which goes into the direct downloads section of the wiki.

Once a month, I also get an email with the following information (example from end of June), which I also paste into the wiki:

Fedoraproject.org visitors for 2013-06: 1877495
Wiki edits for 2013-06: Total=6785, Unique=993

While this work is admittedly fairly tedious, I have found that doing them in a batch of several at once is a bit more time efficient, as I have to have the Stats page, my email, a calculator, the addition of lots of commas, and the legacy statistics page on hand, and thus until tonight I was about 4 weeks behind. (Have I mentioned just how much I look forward to an automated version of this? :D)

In any case: I was pasting in the numbers for May & June tonight - and this is what the past few months of updates to the wiki, as well as # of wiki updates from unique IPs, looks like:

Period	    Total edits	 Edits from unique IPs
January 2013	 5,262	 771
February 2013	 2,807	 544
March 2013	 3,489	 621
April 2013	 6,416	 804
May 2013	 23,359	 1,172
June 2013	 6,785	 993

A few points of interest: We normally see an uptick in the number of total edits/unique IPs in the month of release - mostly due (I suspect) to test days, TC/RC test matrices, etc. Our all-time high was 17k in May 2010; since June 2011, the number has been relatively steady, hovering between 2500 and 7k.

So obviously - May is .... way, way, way out of the norm, beyond the highest high we've ever had, and June seemed to settle back into a more normal routine.

Does anyone have any clue what happened in May? Did we have an exorbitant amount of spam? (Or do we likely have an exorbitant amount of spam still lingering on the wiki?) I tried using the "contributions" history but didn't really come up with anything (other than noticing that for "new accounts" - nothing shows up prior to May 15 for the month of may).

Thoughts?

-robyn