GitLab packaging progress and discussion about deployment on fedorahosted

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 14:52:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 09:59:44AM +0300, Axilleas Pipinellis wrote:
> On 07/03/2013 10:42 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > You are correct.  These are bundled libraries, not forks.  And not just
> > because of the same name... Forking is a bad idea unless upstreams are
> > unable to work together.  So if there's something like a bugfix that's
> > needed, we (The Fedora Packaging Committee) would want to know why the
> > change hasn't gone into the other package (ie: grit) as the bugfix would
> > presumably hekp out other consumers of grit as well.
> In the case of grit, upstream has almost 'abandoned' the project.
> You can see that the commit history [0]is very sparse and of the 111 issues
> on the issue tracker [1] more than the half of them are Pull Requests
> that either
> fix some bugs or enhance the app.
>
> As far as I know, GitLab will switch to rugged [2], but that is not
> going to happen
> for another year as it still lacks some needed functionality. Therefore
> the grit fork.
>
> [0] https://github.com/mojombo/grit/commits/master
> [1] https://github.com/mojombo/grit/issues
> [2] https://github.com/libgit2/rugged

<nod>  I always hate it when upstreams are active (Commits three to four
months apart can be normal) but aren't dealing with bug reports with patches
(ie: pull requests).  OTOH, I notice that rtomayko is one of the
committers, if you wanted to get code into grit we might be able to find
someone who could ask him if he can grant someone else permission to merge
fixes.

Anyhow, with a dead upstream and a plan to move to a different library in
a definite time span it is possitble that the FPC would grant a bundled
library exception for a limited time.  You should be following the process
outlined here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Exceptions

-Toshio