Jenkins built data publicly accessable? (gimp-help-2)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 16:49:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:11:01AM +1000, RĂ³man Joost wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my trouble at the moment is, that I can not reach the built data on:
>
>     http://jenkins.cloud.fedoraproject.org/job/gimp-help-2/
>
> Is there any way I could copy the documentation - after it has been
> successfully built - to a publicly accessible directory on that server
> so I can sync it with http://docs.gimp.org ?
>
> It seems, that I can't make the workspace publicly accessible and
> storing my Fedora credentials on a different server, isn't a good
> solution either.

I see that Patrick solved your problem by enabling anonymous access.
There's no problem with that but I would like to caution you about making
jenkins a necessary part of building docs.gimp.org or anything else
production:

"[...]we reserve the right to suspend the service or discontinue it altogether at
any time. Projects should not depend on this service for any release
critical functions."

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jenkins@infra#What_is_Jenkins_.40_Fedora-infra.3F

Basically, an automated testing framework is something we wanted for
internal Fedora Infrastructure use.  We decided that we could let other
people use it as well, but we explicitly do not want anyone to feel that
because we're providing it now we will continue to do so in the future or
with any expectation of reliability.

I know it's easy as a user of the the service to think of this as "we'll use
it now and cross that bridge when we get to it".  That's fine but please do
everything you can to document and let the rest of your team/people concerned with
docs.gimp.org know about this caveat to the service.  That way if you move
on and someone else is in charge of building docs.gimp.org they won't be
surprised and upset with us if we remove the service without warning.

Thanks,
-Toshio