[Change Request] Elections App Schema change

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 19:33:23 UTC 2013

It was discovered today that the elections application has a bug that can
allow for double submission of ballots on rare occassions.  Since this was
something that needed to be fixed prior to announcing for voter confidence,
I made the db schema change that will throw an error in this case.  I'd like
to get two after-the-fact +1's for the change.

On db01, change the schema for the elections database, votes table:

alter table votes add constraint election_id_voter_candidate_id unique
(election_id, voter, candidate_id);

Two notes:
* We generally don't consider modifying data in the db to be a break of
  freeze.  Since this is modifying the schema I figured it should still get
  a freeze break.
* This will prevent duplicate submissions but the user may get a confusing
  500 error from the web application if this case is hit.  I'll have to look
  at it in the current and next voting app code to see if that needs
  modifying to handle the case better.  Since there's no elections before
  freeze is up, I probably won't request a freeze break to fix the ui.

-Toshio