Anonymized access log from a fedora mirror

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri May 3 14:57:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 08:42:02AM -0400, Steven Acres wrote:
> This sounds akin to apt (debian), emerge (gentoo), 'recommends'.
> Added functionality but not a functional dependency. Am I on mark with
> intention?

Hi,

exactly. But this is more Google-like approach - we have the information
in the house (logs from Apache httpd), why not to use it? No need of
extra functionality on the client side or collecting any data.

Both apt and emerge has these soft dependencies in the packages
themselves, this approach is different. We will try to find knowledge
in the usage statistics.

Big advantage of this approach is there is no action needed to maintain
those soft dependencies once the algorithm is tuned. On the other hand,
it will generate some false recommendations.

That being said, it is worth trying.

LZ

--
Later,