Ask Fedora status update

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon May 6 23:53:38 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

On Sun, 2013-05-05 at 13:38 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thanks.  You can drop a mail to upstream of django post office and
> let
> him know.  I *think*  it stores the email in the db by default based
> on
> the template but might be useful to confirm this.
>
> Rahul

The package got approved and I've just finished pushing updates to
bodhi. Yep, it does seem to make use of the db to store mails.

The "installation" and "quick start" sections[1] detail how it's to be
used:

> Installation
> ============
>
> .. image:: https://travis-ci.org/ui/django-post_office.png?branch=master
>

> * Install from PyPI (or you can `manually download it from PyPI <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-post_office>`_)::
>
>     pip install django-post_office

So, install the rpm, in our case

> * Add ``post_office`` to your INSTALLED_APPS in django's ``settings.py``:
>
> .. code-block:: python
>
>     INSTALLED_APPS = (
>         # other apps
>         "post_office",
>     )
>
> * Run ``syncdb``::
>
>     python manage.py syncdb
>
> * Set ``post_office.EmailBackend`` as your ``EMAIL_BACKEND`` in django's ``settings.py``::
>
>     EMAIL_BACKEND = 'post_office.EmailBackend'
>

> Quickstart
> ==========
>
> To get started, make sure you have Django's admin interface enabled. Create an
> ``EmailTemplate`` instance via ``/admin`` and you can start sending emails.
>
> .. code-block:: python
>
>     from post_office import mail
>
>     mail.send(
>         ['recipient1 at example.com', 'recipient2 at example.com'],
>         'from at example.com',
>         template='welcome_email', # Could be an EmailTemplate instance or name
>         context={'foo': 'bar'},
>     )
>
> The above command will put your email on the queue so you can use the
> command in your webapp without slowing down the request/response cycle too much.
> To actually send them out, run ``python manage.py send_queued_mail``.
> You can schedule this management command to run regularly via cron::
>
>     * * * * * (/usr/bin/python manage.py send_queued_mail >> send_mail.log 2>&1)

I can set up the cron job at the end, like I did earlier for askbot. I'm
not sure how to do the other steps on the server (is root access
required?). Could you folks tell me how to go about it, (or do it, if
you have the cycles yourself ;) )

I'll go drop upstream a mail in the time being.

On a related note, has anyone received any "accept answer reminders"? I
was wondering how we'd test that.

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-post_office
--
Thanks,