backups planning

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 13 16:35:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, 9 May 2013 15:35:44 -0600
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> Another fun mail to start some discussion. ;)
>
> The topic this time is backups.
>
> Currently, we do backups two ways:
>
> 1. We have a backup server in phx2 with a tape drive running bacula.
> It backs up machines and spools the backups to tape. It backs up the
> following:
>
>  ask01
>  bastion01
>  bastion02
>  collab04
>  db01
>  db04
>  db05
>  db-fas01
>  fas01
>  hosted04
>  hosted-lists01
>  lockbox01
>  log02
>  nfs01
>  people03
>  pkgs01
>  proxy01
>  proxy02
>  releng03
>  releng04
>  relepel01
>
> It does a subset of data on those, but for the most part all of them.
>
> 2. We have a backup server at ibiblio. It backs up much more
> selectively. It keeps lvm snapshots of 3 days worth of these backups
> (so there's the current one, and 2 older ones available):
>
> db01
> db04
> db05
> db-fas01
> (only database backups from those)
> pkgs01
> (git and lookaside)
> lockbox01
> (git repos and infra rpms)
>
> We are finally getting some more storage in phx2, and I thought this
> might be a good time to look at backups and revamping them.
>
> I'm going to get a backups volume added to backup03 in phx2.
> I'd like to install rdiff-backup there and have it run backups to disk
> there, and then change the tape backups to just backup the rdiff
> backup data to tape. I'd like to also rethink what we backup, and
> restrict rdiff-backup to /etc and /home and /actual-data. If we are
> restoring an instance we would do a new install, ansible or puppet
> and then restore data, so it doesn't make much sense to me to backup
> system binaries, etc. With rdiff-backup we could keep a pretty long
> history if needed.
>
> Some of our instances don't actually have any data on them, thats all
> in database. Logs should hopefully go to log02, so if we back that up
> we should have all those.
>
> I'm not sure what we could do better on external backups, but open to
> ideas there. Should we add or remove anything there?
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

the backup plan is the one we've discussed before. In general, I'm on
board.

I think I'd prefer to minimize the amount of data we need to backup
from a variety of systems. If only b/c the goal is to make the system
itself as disposable and redeployable as possible.

However, getting a snapshot, regularly, of things we'd want in the
event of an emergency would be nice.
ex: /etc
    /root

The advantage is that the above is small, simple, relatively
slow-to-change.

-sv