November status update for Fedora Infrastructure Apprentices

Anshu Prateek anshprat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 20:18:29 UTC 2013

Replies inline:

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> You are getting this email because you are in the 'fi-apprentice' group
> in the fedora account system. When you reply, please include your
> fedora account system login.
>
> Additionally, this month, I am CC'ing the infrastructure list. If you
> would like to send your feedback there as well everyone can see and
> comment on it.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Apprentice
>
> At the first of every month(or so), I am going to be sending out an
> email like this one. I would like feedback on how things are going for
> you.
>
> I'd like to ask for everyone to send me a quick reply with the
> following data or anything related you can think of that might help us
> make the apprentice program more useful.
>
> 0. Whats your fedora account system login?

anshprat

> 1. Have you logged in and used your fi-apprentice membership to look at
> our machines/setup in the last month? Do you plan to?

yes n yes

> 2. Has it helped you decide any area you wish to focus on or contribute
> to more?

yes, I will  be contributing more on apps side.

> 3. Have you looked at or been able to work on any of the fi-apprentice
> 'easyfix' tickets?
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/report/14

mm, the task I am working on started as a simple "improve"
latency/performance of askbot which evolved into upgrade 0.7.49 which
became packaged 0.7.49. I am mostly done, now only packaging and testing on
fedora/rawhide is left. Its done for epel. I vent been able to spend much
time on it last few weeks. Have just been doing something like 4 hours a
week.

> 4. Do you still wish to be a member of the group? If not (for whatever
> reason) could you provide any hints to help others down the road?

yes

> 5. Is there any help or communication or ideas you have that would help
> you do any of the above?
>

> 6. What do you find to be the hardest part of getting involved?
> Finding things to work on? Getting attention from others to help you?
> Finding tickets in your interest area?
>

> 7. Have you been able to make any weekly irc meetings? Do you find them
> helpful or interesting?

yes . helps to know what others are doing and whats happening in the apps
world.

> 8. What do you use to read your email?

mostly browser/laptop and mobile.

> Any other general feedback is also quite welcome, including
> improvements to this email, the wiki page, etc.

How about pairing apprentices up? Nothing mandatory , but this would help
new folks to discover more stuff and help each other? I discovered the
whole mock / bodhi / koji infra only when I had to pack. And can help new
folks with it now.

Also would help us to retain more folks around. Of the last two months I ve
been here, I think I ve seen few of the apprentices repeatedly in the
meetings atleast..