Diagnosing Ask Fedora sluggishness

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Sep 8 16:07:14 UTC 2013

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 14:19:20 +0530
Anshu Prateek <anshprat at gmail.com> wrote:

> The generic yslow grades suggest couple of improvements:
>
> Grade F on Add Expires headers
>
> There are 55 static components without a far-future expiration date.
> Grade F on Configure entity tags (ETags) There are 27 components with
> misconfigured ETags
>
> Grade E on Use cookie-free domainsThere are 9 components that are not
> cookie-free
>
> And some more.
>
> All of these for https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/

Yeah, askbot is using our haproxy/varnish setup as well as memcached, so
if upstream can tweak things to be more caching friendly that would help
for sure.

> > how to do it yet.)
> >
> > Its in the apache config file.
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html#enable

Actually in this case you might want to look at the django level one?
modules/askbot/templates/settings.erb:

MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = (
    #'django.middleware.gzip.GZipMiddleware',

There may also be some other caching stuff there we should or shouldn't
enable... not sure anyone has fully investigated all those.