GitLab packaging progress and discussion about deployment on fedorahosted

Axilleas Pipinellis axilleaspi at ymail.com
Mon Sep 9 08:28:57 UTC 2013

Hi all! (Cross post of ruby-sig)

Long time no see, so I thought I dropped a line of what is achieved so
far about this project. GSoC comes to an end later this month but that
doesn't mean the effort is over. I will continue to work on this until
it gets officially in Fedora.

I managed to deploy GitLab on a Fedora 19 machine using only installed
packaged gems. Below you will find some more info as well as the url of
the testing environment. Please use/test it and report any issues here
[0]. If anyone needs an admin account for further testing just let me
know. Just bare in mind that you might see some 500 errors as I will be
trying some things :)

--------------------
OS: Fedora 19
Temp deploy: https://fedora.axilleas.me
Enviromnent: using only installed packaged gems either from the official
repos or my custom one [1].
Gemfile diffs: [2] and [3]
Systemd services: Running without using bundler [4]
--------------------

There are a lot to be done yet but that's a start.

TODO
----

*Short term
- Write gitlab.spec that will glue all the dependencies together

*Long term
- Commit as many specs as  possible to BZ.
- GitLab forks: one option is to patch upstream with GitLab's changes.
second but rather avoided is to to ask FPC for an exception and package
the forks as they are.
- Coordinate efforts with Debian ruby team (I already contacted them) [5]
- Deploy on rawhide: when GitLab supports rails 4. That depends on many
dependencies gems as well.

*Longer term
- port to EPEL

[0] https://github.com/axilleas/gsoc/issues